Easy to blame it on student apathy, sure. But when a letter like this is the first news you get on the dance, you have to wonder who they're trying to attract:
Office of the Principal
To: Parents and Guardians
From: Principal David Sondheim
The Back to School Dance is Friday, August 19th, in the Quad. The dance is from 8:00-11:00. Doors will open at 7:30 and close at 8:30. Once students have entered the dance, they may not leave and reenter the dance. Students will purchase tickets at the door. Ticket sales begin at 7:30.
Student safety is always our primary concern. As you may already know, the Tamalpais Union High School District takes student use of alcohol and drugs very seriously. Despite our best efforts, student use of alcohol and drugs continues to be a problem. Not only is it against the law for students to use, possess, sell, or furnish alcohol or drugs, it is also against the Tamalpais Union High School District’s Board Policy 5131.6, and students may be disciplined for such misconduct. If students are suspected of being under the influence of drugs and/or alcohol, they may be given a breathalyzer or other sobriety test, and their person, locker, and/or vehicle may be subject to search. Police officers will be checking all bags and personal items upon entering the dance. Pat searches will also be conducted.
In order to make this year’s Back to School dance safe and enjoyable for everyone, we encourage all parents to seriously consider and discuss the following tips with your student before the dance:
- Remind your student of the consequences, both at school and at home, as well as with the law, for using, possessing, selling, or furnishing alcohol or drugs. If they are caught at a school event, they will be disciplined.
- Know how your student is getting to and from the dance. If your student is getting a ride from a friend, contact that friend’s parents to be sure the friend has permission to use the car, that the car is properly insured, and that the friend has a valid driver’s license.
- Ask your student what friends he/she will be going with to the school dance or activity. Remind them that there is no admittance after 8:30 p.m. All students must be picked up by 11:30 p.m. or they will lose their privilege to attend the next dance.
- Set a reasonable curfew. The Back to School Dance is from 8:00 to 11:00 p.m.
- Remind your student that they need their ID card to purchase a ticket and there will be no in and out privileges.
We look forward to a safe and successful Back to School dance at Redwood, and hope that this event is a positive conclusion for the first week of school.
I wonder just how the last event went down. Doubt it was pretty.