First Night in the New Digs



The view from our new place overlooks the bay alongside Corte Madera and Larkspur. It's approaching midnight on Friday, and a very few headlights are in horizon motion, heading west on the Richmond-San Rafael Bridge. Like ants poking along the scented path, each one enters the home swallow of flood lights around San Quentin.

Holy hell, here it is: California Special Reserve living, up in the hills, 180-degree view overlooking the bay, deck, hot tub. It brings to life a certain dream I do not readily admit having. This manner of Making It, the California way, is dangerous. Not so bad as admitting you have Flock of Seagulls CDs, but well along the way. Should I get careless, soft: I might show up someday to a mixer, blazer and turtleneck, make small talk over a noteworthy chardonnay, evince ephemeral interest over arguably interesting topics, sharing in some brief communal wonder what's next for Gavin Newsom or what's new at the De Young.

You know what to do if I go there, God. Strike my ass down, on the spot. Complete vengeance. Consign me to the Hell of Elevator Jazz. I will have veered badly off; don't mull it over. Don't get me wrong, I want this view. I love the idea of walking up and down this hill in every day, building knotty goat-leg calves. I love the idea of watching squirrels spurt-run for position, and feel everyone hush to listen to bayside breeze and watch the blue hour. Just don't let me fall in with the Good Life crowd. I'm not here for that, and we both know it.

Comments

SkylersDad said…
You could have a flock of seagulls hairdo, so things could always be just a wee bit worse.
GETkristiLOVE said…
I bet you're packing some clove cigarettes beside your Maker's Mark too.
Unknown said…
sd: I've been meaning to mention my gel habit's fallen out of remission.

gkl: Nah, Mickey's Big Mouths. Mine was the pallet bonfire at Fort Cronkhite crowd. Cloves are for wannabe graphic designers who get waivers from PE and $300 jeans from their parents.
ttractor said…
This is hilarious, in hind sight. But we also were new to each other, so our dreams had yet to gel together.